[geeks] Sun Ultra 1

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Aug 7 09:52:39 CDT 2004

I picked up a Sun Ultra 1/170 for $10 from eBay.  It was a random bid
for the hell of it.

It's one of the Creator 3D units, has 640MB of RAM, a Creator graphics
card, and some kind of optical interface.

The optical card has chips on it that say "BMAC" and "Player" among
others, and the laser has "1300 nanometers, 125Mb/sec" written on it.

>From that I assume it is an NPI FDDI card.

I can't use the FDDI, but otherwise it seems a good find for $10.

Have any of you guys run the 64-bit version of NetBSD?  I've got to
decide between NetBSD and Solaris on this machine.  NetBSD is what my
current Sun SS5 server runs, so it would be nice to stick with it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.