[geeks] The Mini-ITX box is done!

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Aug 4 09:15:10 CDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 02:09:52PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Wow - I think you are looking for reasons to be mad at RH...
>
> I suspect that RHEL requires more memory than a 486 can address, sort
> of forcing their hand - can you put more than 64 Meg in a conventional
> 80486 (avoiding odd SMP architectures)? RHEL requires 256 Meg RAM (of
> course, now I've just given you *another* to complain about RH. ;^)
> See: http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/configuration/

First, my 486sx/33 took 64megs of ram.  It also took a dx2/66 overdrive,
which made it a lot nicer to work on/with.  I think some later Gateway
486dx2/66 machines (the ones with the PCI bus) would take 128megs, but
I'm not sure.

But that aside, there are several newer chips from various companies
that take a lot of ram, but still show up as 486s.  Like the chip that
MrBill just tried.  I think Via, and some other company (that I can't
remeber the name of at the moment) have put out quite a few such chips
over the past few years.  I don't know what it would take to be able to
ship pentium optimized/specific binaries, but allow the system to run on
such chips.