[geeks] SCSI vs SATA (update)

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Tue Aug 3 08:12:15 CDT 2004

I didn't put much work or research into this, as it was a VERY
low priority project.  I would like to do more research into this
at a later date, but time restraints dictate otherwise at the
moment.

I just enabled the kernel driver for Silicon Image controllers in
2.6.5.  If you have to enable additional items in the stock 2.6.5
kernel in order to use libata, then i was not using it.

/KRM

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:26:55 +1200
James Braid <jamesb at loreland.org> wrote:

> Kevin wrote:
>
> > The drive was barely usable under the old kernel.  Now it's
> > on par with the SCSI drives in the system.
> >
> > Absolutely nothing other than the kernel was changed between
> > these tests.
>
> Did you use the libata drivers in the 2.6 kernel?
>
> I found the 2.6 libata drivers made a massive improvement for
> my Silicon Image controllers over the 2.4 or 2.6 IDE drivers.
>
> Cheers, James

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/