[geeks] Cheap multiport PCI 10/100 ethernet cards?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Aug 2 13:01:15 CDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:54:22AM -0600, Dan Duncan wrote:
> Why, plug in lots of those power-only USB devices without a hub,
> obviously.  Lamps, coffee heaters, battery chargers, fans, speakers,
> etc.

I *hate* non-computer-related USB-powered devices, but I do have a nifty
little goose-neck metal USB fan plugged into the USB hub on my LCD flat
panel here at work, snaking up and over the top of the monitor so that it
points at me.

I dont actually have the USB hub on the monitor connected to the computer,
I just use it as a power source for the fan [0].

Bill

[0] the USB hub on the monitor turns on and off with the monitor power
switch!  So, I can't run the keyboard and mouse through it, because when
I turn off the money, the system bitches when the keyboard and mouse go
away.. but this works out great for the fan - when I turn off the monitor,
the fan turns off too.

--
bill bradford
austin texas