[geeks] Sony 90w11 jitter and blur

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Sep 18 08:38:46 CDT 2003

> Hi,
>
> My Sony 90w11 has been experiencing a little problem.
>
> Some of the time the picture at 1920x1200 or 1600x1024 is nice a clear.
> Suddenly however the image shakes[1] a little and the image just drops
> out of focus a tiny but noticable bit. It seems come in and out of focus
> all the time.
>
> I don't think the image shake is directly related to this focus problem,
> but none of the controls have any affect.
>
> The problem persists with both the HD15 and 13W3 inputs, so that rules
> out cabel.
>
> I'm thinking power irregularities as a final guess, either coming in
> from my home supply (thru a crappy 6 way) or PSU ; I'm hoping it's not
> terminal. Has anyone seen this before, or are there any CTR buffs out
> there? If it's widget X on it's way out, then I'd probably get it repaired.
>
> Help
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rob

I would suspect some hardware problems with the monitor.  One could be
a capacitor getting ready to fail somewhere in the circuitry (leaking current
on an intermittant basis which would change voltages slighly).  The heat in
a monitor can tend to make them fail.  Another would be a cold solder joint
that is beginning to go.  I've seen both things happen.  Could also be a
solid state component starting to go too, but I would guess the other
possibilities to be more likely.
Bob