[geeks] PDA's

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 15:11:51 CDT 2003

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 15:43:55 -0400 (EDT)
vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> I'm *not* absolutely sure that I want a Microdrive.  There are some
> very large (>1GB) solid-state CF-II cards coming pretty cheap lately.

The prices don't look that cheap on memoryx.net ... the price for a
2Gbyte CF card looks it's still in the 'pay extra for something new'
category. And given there's at least two of us using nowhere near that
amount, I'd say 512Mbytes would be enough to get started. Not my money
though :)

> I might do one of those.  If I do NetBSD, will I need to use swap?

I'm not using swap on my Zaurus so you might get away without it.

> The limited number of write cycles on solid-state flash concerns me.
> Am I right to be concerned.

I've heard of people who use swap and haven't heard of any problems. I
guess your CF card would go west a few years early if you swap to it.

> > OPIE player works fine for me.
>
> That only works under Linux, though, right?

Well the whole of OPIE is written for Linux, but it is open source so
shouldn't be impossible to get working under NetBSD. And is probably
worth making the effort unless you've got particular reasons for running
X.