[geeks] Yow what an upgrade...

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Wed Nov 5 21:43:55 CST 2003

Nothing important. It's just that I picked up an old beige G3 for the
wife last Friday at surplus. $40 for a 233mhz, rev B, RagePro 2mb video,
288mb ram, a 4gb disk (quickly supplemented with an old 9gb ide I had
laying around) and cdrom. Not too bad.

But what gets me is that we sometimes forget what it's like to jump the
generations. Till then she had a 7600/132 with 144mb - decent but no
screamer. Netscape 7 crawled on that 604; only the DSL connection made
it tolerable to her. Now she's ecstatic because her games are faster,
her spreadsheets launch and recalculate much faster and it doesn't take
forever to check her email or place a milk order. Wild.

Pity I don't have the $$$ to give her a TiBook...

Of course, this also leaves me with a 7600 to either find a use for,
upgrade or sell. Hmm... Yellowdog and OpenMCL is sounding very
interesting right now...

William
--
REGIME CHANGE STARTS AT HOME... Wesley Clark for President
http://www.clark04.com/