[geeks] Sun x86 boxen/linux

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Tue Nov 4 12:22:35 CST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Kevin wrote:

> Anyone here have any experience with Sun x86 based boxes running linux?

Well, we bought a small pile of LX50s a while back. Does that count? I
haven't had to deal with Sun for any sort of support on them yet, but
considering they are stock Intel boards in a stock Intel case with a
different face plate, there isn't much to them. My boss found out that
Gateway is selling the same thing (or close enough) for less, so now we
buy those instead. I used to have the links for the Intel parts someplace
but I can't find them now. Based on the docs on Suns site, it looks like
the V60x is about the same as the last load we got from Gateway.

I didn't see any compelling reasons to keep the Sun Linux that came with
the LX50s (it was just another butchered version of RedHat after all) and
they are all running Debian quite nicely.