[geeks] Halloween

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Sun Nov 2 12:45:22 CST 2003

> Retail establishments go almost exclusively from Halloween to Christmas.
> Little or no Thanksgiving in between.

Of course there is no money in it for them.

> I'm not a Christian but I do find it annoying that the trend is to go
> from gift giving holiday to gift giving holiday and skip one that makes
> you reflect on how thankful you are for things.

I was brought up Catholic [0], but I am better now :)

The 3 biggies were Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Halloween was just
fun (at least when I was a kid).

To me Thanksgiving is still a time of reflection. I oft wonder why my life
sucks so much but them I am reminded there are loads of folks worst off [1]
and I need to just shut the fuck up and deal with life as my ass is not on
fire and I am still breathing.

I never used to think about political or social activism but I sure have
been a lot of late.

[0] I saw the light and ran away from the church more or less screaming.

[1] This would be the subject of a long unpleasant rant I do not wish to
engage in presently.

--
Mike N