[geeks] SI vs SSI

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Nov 2 09:30:58 CST 2003

Just, for the info file:

An Octane with a SI graphics option *can* do 1600x1200 - at 57Hz.  An
SSI can do the same reolution at 60Hz - which is *much* better than
it sounds.  At 60Hz, on my 20" SGI-branded monitor, there is *zero*
eye-strain.  However, at 57Hz, it hurts.  In fact, 1600x1200x60Hz is
barely distinguishable from 1280x1024x75Hz on my O2.  There's a small
difference, but you have to really concentrate to see it.

YMMV, of course.  Some folks are more sensitive to refresh rates than I
am.

--
Kurt                        "I'm utterly clueless...."
kurt at k-huhn.com                          Verisign VP Chuck Gomes