[geeks] Tape hiss

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Sun May 25 13:59:56 CDT 2003

>Audacity might fit the bill.  It has a noise remover tool, but i haven't
>really used it enough to tell you if it would be good for that or not.
>It might even compile on IRIX, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
>
>http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Thanks. I found a couple of other too :

http://gwc.sourceforge.net/

and

http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/

<long rant>

however the whole thing is turning into the usual nightmare. The i810
based sound built on my Epox 4DB2+ mobo is bad - well support seems to
be a little bit crap, with crackly sound and this weird bug where dsp
vol drops and needs to be constantly adjusted via xmix to come back to
life again. This might be a debian problem (i synch with testing alot).
Coupled with the errors like :

$ play audio9.aiff
playing audio9.aiff
sox: Unable to set audio speed to 44100 (set to 47160)

kicking in immediately with 2.4.21-rc1-ac4, after about 30 minutes on
2.4.21-rc2-ac3 and immediately again using 2.4.20-wolk4.1s and I'm now
thinking I should have just nipped out and bought an old Soundblaster on
saturday. This thing /can/ do 44100 (what cannot) but it looks like some
internal driver bug causes this - there's plenty of i810 updates in
recent kernels.

Next I'm grabbing sound from a tape deck into my Octane. Running 6.5.15f
would you believe there's little-documented problems with audio file
generation. Dah!! Yep 6.5.14 had movie file bugs, 6.5.15 has audio files
bugs. So I tar up anything that looks like libaudio on my Indigo2
running 6.5.17m and wack that over the Octane's libaudio files (fixing
mips3 and mips4 softlinks where applicable). So now, at least, I'm
grabbing files which can at least be opened on platforms other than my
Octane - and that means gwc on my PC because gwc only supports x86
endieness. So I have to try and process them in  situe (and in silence)
on my PC, then play them back (over NFS) on my Octane (which is hooked
up to all my sound gear anyway). Wa! And I still haven't processed one
gad damn hissy tape.

</long rant>

I'll let you know if these softwares actually do anything :)