[geeks] Versioning FIlesystem

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri May 23 11:20:09 CDT 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> Doesn't all the automation go out the window if you decide to mount the
> filesystem on another OS?

It sure does.

> I mean, if the versioning is in the spec for the filesystem, then
> wouldn't a driver for that filesystem in any new OS would have to
> support it?

I guess that depends on whether you want it to strictly be a function of
the filesystem or of the operating system.  Even if it is part of the
filesystem, you've no guarantee that mounting that filesystem on another
operating system will preserve versioning, because the OS would have the
option of just updating the latest version, in hopes of getting
quick-and-dirty support (a la NetBSD platform support).

The point is that the OS is going to have to grok versioning at the
namespace-level, anyway, and possibly in other places, so why reinvent
the wheel by designing a new filesystem?

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Lawsuit...why doesn't it surprise me that more
Thorndale, TX      (    than half of that word is Suit?"