[geeks] Versioning FIlesystem

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu May 22 18:24:43 CDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 02:45:54PM -0400, David de Gruyl wrote:

> The shell was built around this, with directory listings, and so on,
> giving you the default file, but allowing you to see the older versions
> if requested.

It occurs to me that you could do this in UNIX if someone were willing
to write it into file globbing in the shell.

Not quite as good as having it in the filesystem code, but certainly
possible.

I used to do the same thing with a shell script.

Basically I had one called "edit" which would run either a text editor,
or a program like WordPerfect on the selected file(s).

It did the versioning sort of like VMS, but with UNIX goodness instead.

I'm working on a new version that will actually put the files into a
database or something to keep the local filesystem cleaner.

The idea is for it to be transparent until you need it of course.

I generally don't like VMS as much as UNIX, though I could probably have
learned to love TOPS20 if it just had more work done on it.  However,
the negatives of VMS were kinda irritating.

Still, there are things about the older systems that I really wish
UNIX had.  Maybe we'll get them in time.