[geeks] Versioning FIlesystem

David de Gruyl david at bhaermandegruyl.org
Thu May 22 06:55:55 CDT 2003

This is a somewhat esoteric question, as I have no plans to change over
to a versioning filesystem.  But when other users are involved it could
be very useful to have a "undelete" function, and I have found version
tracking to be quite useful, especially for configuration files.

On VMS systems, the filesystem keeps old copies of files around for
recovery.  THis is a circular number, with a per file (i think)
configuration, so that only a maximum of n copies of a file are ever
around.

I am interested if anything like this exists for UNIX based OSes.  I
know that SCO has a versioning option for their filesystem, but I am
unaware of anything like this for the BSDs or even for linux, although
it looks like something may exist.

David

--
David de Gruyl <david at bhaermandegruyl.org>