[geeks] IRIX install thoughts and questions

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu May 15 12:00:22 CDT 2003

On Thursday 15 May 2003 04:49, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> Somethougts - Irix doesn't set the root password on install????

It does (or at least did when I setup 6.5.8 on my Octane recently) ...
assuming that you include running through the EZsetup routine after booting
as part of the install process (which is fair enough as you're supposed to).

> And that is one wierd installer. IIUC the things I read on the net, this
> is an _improvement_ over earlier IRIX installers??? Eeekkk!!!

They're all weird when you're not used to them.

I don't recall any major differences between the installation of IRIX 5.3 and
6.5 (except for the end result).