[geeks] Speaking of SGI machines...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed May 14 08:02:13 CDT 2003

Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> What is a good SGI and graphics combination to get for a decent
> workstation?

I really enjoyed working with my Indy R5k as my first SGI workstation.  It
had XS24 graphics in it, which was quite acceptable.  I still have it in the
garage, though powered off at this point.

> I found the O2 awfully slow, and some other SGIs with the low-end
> graphics were bad.

I didn't have the same experience.  MY O2 R5k was very nice - even with only
64MB of RAM.  I don't understand when people say these things are slow.  You
must have been doing it wrong :)

> For encryption speed, I'd be using GNUpg, ssh.  That's really slow on my
> Sun systems (old SS5's).

Hmmm.  That depends I guess.  I used GNUPG and ssh on a U1E with no
problems.  I've also used it on Indiys, O2s, SS10s, etc.  I've never really
had a problem with speed in that regard.  To my eyes, ssh on a my R12k
Octane, and my R4k Indigo seem about the same once a tunnel is established.

> Basically, 3D editing, LaTeX, C and Perl programming (with lots of
> windows open), Mozilla and elinks for web browsing, maybe OpenOffice now
> and then, and things like reading PDF files, maps in TIFF format, and
> some minor 2D graphics editing.

Sounds like you really are going to be happiest with an R10k or higher.  An
Indigo2 with R10k processor and Impact graphics would probably be your
starting point - especially that 3D editing part.  An Octane R10k or higher
would be the next step up.  Be sure to load it up with RAM, whatever system
you decide upon.

> I have a now-obsolete Athlon K7 (the 512K cache slotA version), with
> 512MB of RAM and a 32MB nVidia GF2 graphics card.  It's reasonably
> speedy, but I hate PeeCees and would like to replace it.

Do yourself a favor and get at least an Indigo2 with R10k and High Impact
graphics (Max Impact would be the next step up from this).

If you really want to get an Octane, get yourself one with the SI+TRAM
option at least - you can upgrade any SI with a TRAM module.  If you want
impressive graphics on a budget, go for MXI (SSI + TRAM).  Either way (SI or
SSI) get yourself a TRAM module - their not cheap, but they add texture
ability to the ballsy geometry that those cards have.  This will help you in
all facets of the UI.

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."