[geeks] Speaking of SGI machines...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 13 21:45:36 CDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:37:48AM +1200, James Braid wrote:

> We have a few O2's around the place which are handy for running X apps
> remotely and things like that. Also an Origin 200 for a fileserver.

I found the O2's quite slow myself.

PeeCee machines suck, but they are fast for most desktop uses.

The biggest problem is that a lot of code is horribly bloated though.

There is really no reason that an O2 should be slow, though its
graphics do seem awfully bad.

Dragging windows was painfully slow to me.

I don't mind processing being slow as much as I do the UI, text or
graphics.  That's because slow speed often leads to errors.