[geeks] OpenOffice released for Irix

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 11 20:30:16 CDT 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 11:08:40PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> > Wow... I have a 700MHz Athlon with 512MB of RAM... running Slackware
> > Linux 9 and OO's swriter takes over 15 seconds to start up the first
> > time.
> >

> I'll admit, that's relatively slow.  MS Word takes the same amount of
> time to load on my SunPCi2 card.

Hmmm... the machine is running Linux 2.4.20 with SGI's XFS filesystem
for all filesystems.

It's always benchmarked pretty quick.

The drives are UW SCSI, but only one is differential, so the faster
drive is only running at 40MB/sec.

Still... I think OO should load faster.

I have found that sometimes XFS is a little slow.

The 2.6 Linux kernel is supposed to take care of some serious
performance problems, so we'll see.

Maybe I should spend some time tuning.

In the end though, I think OO is just a pig.

> Be sure they're MIPS4 machines - apparently this build of OO won't run
> on anything less.

Should have that covered.

> > My Sun's are too slow for it.
> >
> > Oh... what machine are you running OO on?
> >

> R12k-300Mhz Octane.

Hmmm... that's actually a decent machine.  I'll likely be seeing it on a
R10k 195MHz machine.