[geeks] Kids today!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 08:36:34 CDT 2003

--- Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> I've always thought that the way colleges are, giving students a
> screaming fast machine which runs even bloated code fast, is wrong.

<snip>

> I learned at first on IBM 4381's, Prime 9955, and Sun '020 systems,
> most of them with a dozen users or more.  If you wrote things like
> you see now, no one would have been able to do work.

Mainframe O/Ss, like MVS (or it is now what, z/OS?) had a great
feature, every time you issue a system call, every other process get
thte chance to execute. They also have job classes, with usage profiles
that limit the amout of system you can use. The difference is, I think,
that MVS-type O/Ss were desigend to tarack usage for $$, *nix, other
"workgroup" O/Ss seem to have a Rodnet King apprach to sharing ("Can't
we all just get along.")...

BTW, I am nearly through the Unix Hater's Handbook - it's quite good in
parts...

=====
Lionel