[geeks] Sun a possible takeover target - rumours

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun May 11 04:00:16 CDT 2003

On Sunday 11 May 2003 02:51, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Perhaps, but that begs the question of whether or not a programmer NEEDS
> that much functionality.  How much of what's there is actually useful,
> and how much of it is for bragging rights?  To be honest, when I'm a
> programmer, I care about functionality, but when I'm a user, I couldn't
> care less.  If the software does what I want it to, great.  If it
> -almost- does what I want it to, and takes forever in doing it, I'm
> going to be less happy.

I think things like kparts are a benefit for the user (because apps integrate
well, bacause there's much reuse of functionality), otoh I dont have a CLUE
how this can take soooooo much resources. Granted Eyecandy is also a factor.
The logic behind heavy modularising is that the pieces that aren't needed
aren't loaded...

> WindowMaker and GNUstep and vim and rxvt fall into the former category.
> Enlightenment and GNOME and gedit and gnome-terminal into the latter.

- Windowmaker rules, though I find the kwin windowmanager (kde) to be more an
extension of my fingertips :) then windowmaker.
- rxvt is for 386's :-)
- vim rules also.
- Gnome has to be seen as a bunch of libraries, the'res no sense in doing
localisation, xml parsing etc. by yourself if there's a lib for it.
- The newest Gtk libraries are SLOW. REALLY slow. What do you notice if you're
using the Gimp? Everything goes at light-speed, except the menu's slow you
down.
- gedit: never used it, I use vim :-) but it seems like a nice simple little
editor to me. Hm, installed a few versions; the version in Debian stable
(using gtk 1.x) uses 6 megs of ram, the newer one 10. Wonder where that
crept.
- I use multi-gnome-terminal on my laptop (powerlite 110, sun4m); works like a
charm. In fact I don't even have xterm on that box :-)

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be