[geeks] Sun a possible takeover target - rumours

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 10 21:06:03 CDT 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 02:50:52PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Sat, 10 May 2003, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > KDE and Gnome could be fine if someone brought some sanity to those
> > projects.
>
> KDE and GNOME would be fine if someone forced their developers to
> develop their software on first-generaion Pentiums and SPARC 20s.  They
> need to trim the bloat.

I've always thought that the way colleges are, giving students a
screaming fast machine which runs even bloated code fast, is wrong.
They rarely have to worry about speed or memory use, and when you don't
share a machine you never learn about writing code which is a good
"process table citizen".

I learned at first on IBM 4381's, Prime 9955, and Sun '020 systems, most
of them with a dozen users or more.  If you wrote things like you see
now, no one would have been able to do work.

Sometimes I think an end to Moore's Law would be a good thing.

> WindowMaker and GNUstep are living proof that you can make something a
> desktop that's -fast- and -usable- that doesn't require more system
> resources than Oracle.

I know, and I keep meaning to put the system together.  It didn't work
too well this time last year, but I should put the time into building
a system up to see it.