[geeks] Sun a possible takeover target - rumours

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 10 14:44:20 CDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 01:04:40PM -0400, James wrote:

> > It's the x86 version that seems to have some troubles.
> >
> > I don't really see why its like that, since Sun should have the
> > resources to make things better.
>
> You understood me. Solaris-x86 should make you fall in love. Then it will
> drag you into the SPARC world as your needs increase (as they *always* do).

Yep.  That's why it has always disappointed me.  If someone who doesn't
know the difference test drives Solaris x86 on an available Intel
server, they'll be turned off in many cases.

> Look what Apple has done, it has made UNIX lovers out of the most
> computer-illiterate group of users around (when averaged as a whole). OS-X
> is slowly creating an interest in UNIX in a userbase that chose Apple for
> its "simplicity". Sun could do the same with Solaris-x86 and a good window
> manager.

I've been amazed at how much this has worked out.  Some Mac users did
complain a lot, but its fun to watch the silent transision, as they
quickly realize they haven't had to reboot or see sad Macs...

> Of course, if Apple bought Sun, Solaris might get a good window manager
> grafted on from OS-X.

KDE and Gnome could be fine if someone brought some sanity to those
projects.

Gnome 2.x is at least moving to a simpler UI.  It's the dependencies
that suck so bad.  They are many, slow, buggy, and huge...