[geeks] Sun a possible takeover target - rumours

James james at jdfogg.com
Thu May 8 12:04:40 CDT 2003

> I think he means make it better.
>
> Solaris on x86 lags behind Linux and the BSD UNIX systems in
> installation, administration, and ease of building applications.
>
> I have tried to deploy Solaris x86 systems, but could not justify it
> unless we actually had a Solaris-specific application.
>
> The problems I see with Solarix x86 are:
>
> * its slow, even on SMP, where I expected it to shine
> * installation is just braindead compared to the others
> * driver support is bad
> * graphics driver support is DISMAL
>
> I think for a lot of applications, there just is no compelling reason to
> run Solaris.
>
> On SPARC hardware, its a different story.  What I run there depends on a
> few factors.  On single-CPU machines with good support, I'll run NetBSD.
> Otherwise I'll run Solaris.  Solaris for SPARC even seeme to do OK on an
> old Sun SS5.
>
> It's the x86 version that seems to have some troubles.
>
> I don't really see why its like that, since Sun should have the
> resources to make things better.

You understood me. Solaris-x86 should make you fall in love. Then it will
drag you into the SPARC world as your needs increase (as they *always* do).
Look what Apple has done, it has made UNIX lovers out of the most
computer-illiterate group of users around (when averaged as a whole). OS-X
is slowly creating an interest in UNIX in a userbase that chose Apple for
its "simplicity". Sun could do the same with Solaris-x86 and a good window
manager.

Of course, if Apple bought Sun, Solaris might get a good window manager
grafted on from OS-X.