[geeks] So I'm sitting in front of my "new to me" SGI Indigo^2 (teal)...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 16:27:50 CDT 2003

...and I'm suffering from a "lack of root" password. Any thoughts?

I've cleaned out the system (removed the solid layer of dust/gunk in
the screen over the card cage, covering that three-board Extreme
graphics option, along with other incidental dust), put it all back
together, and booted it up.

It has an R4000 CPU @ 100 MHz, w/1 Meg cache and 96 Meg RAM (one bank
open - can I put plain 16 Meg Parity SIMMs in there?). It boots up
fine, I went into maint mode and ran "hvinv - t" and got the low-down
on the unit... It is a base model with Irix 6.5 installed on a 4.5 Gig
HD (just like http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/pcw5-93i2.html).

Any ideas on how to "get into" this box without root password? Failing
that, I have a rather extensive suite of CD-Rs of IRIX, I suppose I
could re-install... A quick pointer on setting up a plextor drive and
how to install Irix would be great too!

I also have another (purple) Indigo^2 that has better specifications
(R10K, Impact graphics, etc. - my friend got it from Patrick on this
list), but I have changed and forgotten the passwords, it too has a
recent install of Irix (6.5), IIRC... Patrick, are you out there? I
think your old accounts are still on it...

For now, I'll test the U2 I got for $15 ;^)

Thanks in advance!

=====
Lionel