[geeks] WTT: AlphaStation 2100(a) for PC

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Mar 27 14:32:04 CST 2003

(I know, its a sin, but I have a specific need for a PC/x86 system right now,
 and I'm trying to divest myself of the systems that I dont actually *use*)

Specs:

- DEC AlphaServer 2100.  Dual EV5 Alpha CPUs (21164), 275Mhz.  Has 512M RAM,
  SCSI CD-ROM drive, floppy drive, DAT tape, and two StorageWorks shelves
  full of hard drives (with hardware RAID controller).  Has both SRM and
  ARC/AlphaBIOS firmware; can run Linux/NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Tru64/OpenVMS.
  Has DEC PCI video card and a DEC 10/100base-T ethernet card installed.
  I've got the new backplane to upgrade it to a 2100A (less EISA slots,
  more PCI slots) but havent installed it.  Can go up to quad CPUs, but I only
  have two installed.  System is large (deskside), so local pickup in Austin,
  Texas is preferred.

  Pictures / User Manual:
  http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/archive/2100/

  Documentation:
  http://h18002.www1.hp.com/AlphaServer/archive/2100/2100_tech.html

I'd like to trade the 2100 for a halfway decent PC; a P3 or Athlon/Duron,
at least 700Mhz (1Ghz or faster preferred), 128M RAM, and an AGP GeForce or
Radeon video card.

If its a *really* nice PC (I dont need "top of the line", just "1Ghz or
faster"), I'll throw in this system as well:

- Aspen Systems "Alpine" rackmount server.  Alpha CPU (21064), 275Mhz.  Has
  at least 64M RAM, I'll throw in another 64 if I can find it (uses true
  parity 72pin SIMMs).  Has 4G SCSI HD and a SCSI CD-ROM.  Currently has the
  ARC firmware installed (lets you run NT/Alpha or Linux/Alpha); with a $20
  SRM firmware chip from Aspen, you can run NetBSD/OpenBSD/Tru64/OpenVMS.
  I'd like $100 plus shipping ($50 or so, nicely packed).

  Pictures:  http://weblog.mrbill.net/pictures/computers/alpine-alpha/
  User Manual:  http://www.sunhelp.org/pdf/Alpine.pdf

As noted above, pickup of the AS2100 in Austin, TX is preferred - its
large, weighs 250+ lbs, and would be almost impossible to ship.  If
necessary, I can hold the machines for a while (up to six months) while
you arrange transportation or pickup.

Bill

--
bill bradford