[geeks] Re: 802.11x speeds

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 23 21:35:28 CST 2003

>[2] I've often wondered if one could make a business out of such a
>plan.  Anyone know if a Faraday Cage could block out cell phone signals?
>i'd think that movie theaters would love to block out cellular signal in
>there.

No - it can't be done. Cellphones have some of the most advanced DSP
filtering technology available. When I was studying physics at uni, I did
some work in a high-voltage testing lab (basically a room-sized faraday
cage). My cellphone used to ring even with the doors sealed!

That room was rated for something insane like 90+ db attenuation so the
cell-phone must have been literally reaching down into the noise and
picking out the signal. At the time I thought that the room sheilding must
be faulty, but it turned out that the cell-phone was just extraordinarily
sensitive.

Note: There are a couple of companies out there who build cell-phone
blocking systems for movire theatres and the like. However they are
basically micro-transmitters that flood the cell-phone band with junk signals.

Regards,

Gavin