[geeks] 802.11x speeds

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Mar 23 10:02:20 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 01:26, sammy ominsky wrote:
> On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 05:16 PM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
>
> > 802.11g is specced to 54Mbps.
>
> Yeah, but you ain't gettin' near that. I've watched, and you're
> fortunate if you get 11Mbps out of what they're calling "g". You may
> note no-one's selling hardware that is actually 802.11g compliant.

And you don't get near 11mbit out of 802.11b either.  There are several
manufacturers selling 802.11g gear, but, those who are holding out are
waiting for the IEEE to ratify it i'm sure.

> Also, there's a problem with 802.11g. Grab a spectrum analyzer. 802.11b
> does a beautiful thing. You broadcast on a channel, and the signal
> spills over into other channels in the frequency. 802.11b signal drops
> off rapidly, so you can have three different channels going at once out
> of the 11 available. G stomps all over the whole local spectrum. It's
> horribly ugly.

Hmm... interesting.  what kind of equipment did you use to see this?

> I suggest it's going to be a looong time before you see any FCC
> certified outdoor 802.11g equipment.

Well, since it runs on the 2.4ghz spectrum like 802.11b, i'm thinking
that 802.11b antennas would work with 802.11g.  But i could be rather
mistaken.  Anyone care to set me straight?

> Stick to b. You can do wonderful things with it.

I agree, but, g seems to be the logical successor to b.

	-Dan Sikorski