[geeks] 802.11x speeds

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 21:12:16 CST 2003

--- Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:
> 802.11b is a IEEE spec wireless protocol that works.  802.11a as i
> mentioned, has a rather limited range.  802.11g has not been ratified
> by the IEEE yet.  Personally, 802.11b is what i'm using, becuase
> 802.11a already being abandoned by the people who were the first to
> make 802.11a gear, and 802.11g isn't fully standardized yet (expected
> in the next 6 months or so).  I consider 802.11g to be the (near)
> future of wireless, and 802.11b is now.

I think 802.11a will remain (for a while), as it is standardized,
higher-speed, and the element of obscurity can be useful.

Also, I think the 2.4 GHz range will be clobbered with 802.11b, 802.11g
and digital wireless phones, microwaves, etc...

I have an 802.11a kit that I haven't powered up yet - got it because (I
think) someone was using my 802.11b AP (unexplained activity, but it
died-down now)

=====
Lionel

http://platinum.yahoo.com