[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Mar 21 18:07:40 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Caleb Shay wrote:

> I don't have a whole lot of *BSD experience, I can never seem to get
> comfortable in them.  I think Irix and Linux ruined me.  But if I
> understand correctly, make world rebuilds everything you have built
> from ports, right?  In that case,

The big break in thinking is that Linux distributions do think of
most of the applications as separate, optional things, whereas
the BSDs include some of that in the source tree.  Mainly because
of the Linux/GNU dichotomy... really Linux is just a kernel, whereas
*BSD is a full system.

make world rebuilds the whole source tree of the distribution, but
AFAIK NOT the ports tree.   Could be wrong on that though...

I think that's a big break between the mindsets... Linux distributions
generally can't regenerate themselves with one command like a BSD,
but I suspect part of that now is the sheer scope the distributions
have chosen to encompass...

--Kurt