[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 21 16:41:22 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > It seems to be okay.  People like it for a couple reasons:  1) It
> > compiles everything specifically for your system, not the lowest
> > common denominator.
>
> Oh.  That's right.  There's no typical Linux equivalent of "make world".
> I'm getting spoiled by BSD.  A Linux distribution with things like "make
> world" and a ports tree would go a long way towards making it a more
> useful environment, IMO.
>
> If Gentoo has stuff like this, the only real missing component would be
> an installer--even a shellscript installer like the BSDs and Slackware
> have.

I've done a significant amount of Linux driver work, and I have a Linux
machine running as a printserver, but I use NetBSD on the vast majority of
my other machines.  I use NetBSD because it just feels cleaner than Linux.
Plus I have uptimes on NetBSD I would never have with Linux.  It's not
that Linux is particularly unstable, it's that NetBSD seems to be
rock-solid.

Peace...  Sridhar