[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Fri Mar 21 12:25:25 CST 2003

> > it has something to do with choices, and a fairly well developed
> > and easy to use source/compiling system.
>
> It might.  But none of the local Gentoo users have ever mentioned that.

Ask them :)

I can't speak for everyone's reasons, but the ones I gave are the
reasons I *do* suggest it to people who want to run linux.

> still works as of Solaris 9 and is pretty-much a direct
> decendant of the suninstall of the SunOS 4.x days.  You don't -have- to
> use the Java installer crapplication.

I got stuck inthat thing once in sol8 and never have even touched an
install disk since. such a crappy thing to do to people that thing is.

Seriously- I'd love to see a better installer for gentoo, but the
distribution itself is really good, not really larval.

And portage is nice enough I've considered using it to control building
software on solaris boxes.