[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Thu Mar 20 23:11:22 CST 2003

Well, my reason (and it may not be a good reason for everybody), is
that I feel it gives me the best of both worlds.  That is, I have
package management, so keeping track of what got installed where, what
depends on what else, etc, is handled for me, but it gives me the
flexibility of having built everything "by hand" the way I wanted to,
ie I want <program name> built with <feature1> and <feature2>, but not
<feature 3>, as opposed to being stuck with the features that the
package maintainer decided I should have or risk breaking the
dependency/package management system of the distro.

A lot of people who like it are the "hotrodders" who want to try to
tweak the way everything is built to get that last 1% of extra
performance out of their systems.  Others like the fact that the
applications tend to be the latest and greatest (or buggiest, as the
case may be).  Because of this fact, I would never use it in a
production environment, but I use it on my personal workstation where
if something breaks, it's not a big deal.

l337 factor?  I've never really understood this whole mentality.

Doing everything yourself?  Hardly.  It's a package manager based
system, it's just that the packages are source based rather than
binary.  If I really wanted to do everything by hand I'd go back to my
first love, Slackware.  I remember upgrading my libc5 Slack system to
libc6/glibc2 "by hand", now THAT was a learning experience.  I can't
remember why I did it, probably just because it was new, I'm prone to
things like that.

Cheers,

Caleb

On 2003-03-21 03:59:56 +0000 Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net>