[geeks] SCO sues IBM (pure UNIX *BSD)

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Sun Mar 9 23:10:39 CST 2003

Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 04:49:08AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
>
> > "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net>
> > wrote:
> > > In my opinion, the most pure unix is NetBSD.  I mean,
> > > it descends
> > > directly from the old BSD unix distribution
> > More so than FreeBSD?  I'm not debating, i'm asking.

> Well, hmm. All BSD systems (Free, Net, Open, BSD/OS (and Darwin)) are
> derived from the same 4.4BSD codebase. [1]
> What makes NetBSD to "the most pure unix" is hard to describe. It is
> small and very puristic. It has everything that a unix must have,
> but no additional "features". E.g. no bash and no perl.

I'm not sure I understand how not having bash makes you more pure than
having it in the core. That's almost like saying that no development
over time is permitted. bash is probably the *most* pure unixlike shell
in this case- more so than sh now.

Why? Becuase Unix always was about change- but stbale change that
permitted older 'generation' users to continue using. any sh user should
be able to handle bash fairly well, and fairly intuitively (I mean that
in a specific manner, it refers to a knowledgable sh user, not
manonstreet).

That seems- to me- to be part of whatever one would call a hypothetical
Unix Way.

If you want
> this you have to add it via the pkgsrc system, it is not in the base
> system. NetBSD has a very clean and orthogonal design. Everything
> "feels" very "unixish". I call NetBSD my personal unix reference
> implementation.
> The latest FreeBSD I used heavily was 2.2.8, long gone. It seams
> that the FreeBSD people take things more "pragmatic" like the NetBSD
> developers. E.g. FreeBSD replaced csh with tcsh.

that would be like replacing ksh with pdksh, but I don't see how that
would needfully be less Unixish. development that retains usability (or
backwards compatibility) and flavor is veyr Unixish- again, to me. So
I'd vote tcsh to be more unixy that old csh at this point.

My take-