[geeks] Portable audio recording solution?

Matthew Braun mjbraun at enteract.com
Tue Mar 4 00:43:45 CST 2003

I'm interested in doing some work with found audio and ambient sound,
necessitating the purchase of a portable recording device. Having
fiddled around with MiniDV cameras and enjoying their ability to be
fully controlled from a PC I was wondering if there are any consumer
grade (i.e. under $300) solutions that can do the same thing.

I'd like to be able to avoid having to dump the entire
tape/disc/CF/whatever to my HD and then hand-hack it into bits, as I
foresee having lots of little samples to work with. While a MP3
recorder might do the job, I wonder if it there are any models that are
up to the task of also recording live music (from a line in, not a mic).

I'm leaning towards MiniDisc, although I'm not sure which one to get or
even why. I've heard that ATRAC supports some weird number of channels,
though I wonder how important that really is.

It's a shame that the iPod doesn't support recording; if it did, I'd
have to part with a kidney and go get one.