[geeks] Re: [rescue] headlights [was: Apple WWDC Summary]

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Jun 27 13:34:59 CDT 2003

"From: Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez <lefa at ucsc.edu>
"
"I believe the blue head lights are not illegal because they are a blinding
"distraction but rather becasue of the wavelength used, it turns out that
"water (namelly fog or actual rain) can absorb light with that spectrum far
"better than wide spectrum lights, thus you end up with very poor
"visibility.

not absorb but refract/disperse.  longer wavelengths pass unaffected
hence the concept of amber foglights, though you really need ir to
penetrate fog and mist.

"The problem is that when you are on the road it is not a matter of whether
"or not you want to commit sucicide or whatnot, the problem is that there
"are other people driving aswell thus these idiots with mods in their cars
"can get in an accident and involve a ton of other innocent people.

or worse ignorantly cause an accident they're not even involved in.

"I would be all for enforcing registration like they do in some parts of
"Europe, in my home region you have to pass a very comprehensive safety
"test every year before you can go ahead and renew your registration.

i'd like to see that, with one change:  test the safety of the
-driver-, not the -car-.  didja know volvos used to be rated #1 for
accidents [by the iihs or ntsb, i forget who]?  seems that the morons
who bought those little swedish tanks felt sooo safe...

you'd probably find the larger suvs topping the list now.  and they
don't even have to meet car safety standards.