[geeks] I definitely don't admire Sun "The Company" right now...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 06:01:56 CDT 2003

--- Kevin <kevin at pipeline.com> wrote:
> It is a bit odd to me why IBM negotiated their
> licencing in this manner.  Of course, i always wondered
> the same about why they let Mr. Bill distribute MS-DOS.

Well, I have some thoughts on the above:

IBM wanted a Unix license, and AT&T (I assume they were the "owners" of
Unix then) controlled the market well. IBM probably wasn't interested
in paying a HUGE one-time payment for their license (like Sun did,
becuase their core business relied on access to Unix). At the time,
this was probably a very prudent business decision ($100? per license
sold vs. $millions and millions for a platform that may not
succeed...).

Similar thinking around the MS-DOS market - as has been mentioned here
recently, IBM did not expect the IBM PC to be as mind-numbingly
successful as it was - it was a test to see if the market really
existed...

=====
Lionel