[geeks] SAN Question...

Bertrand HUTIN bhutin at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 25 10:36:10 CDT 2003

Many Disk system vendors offer the remote replication.
most of the time the 2 disk racks are linked with one or more Fiber
channels links.
EMC : SRDF. The new disk systems also offer SRDF on IP using Cisco
boxes.
IBM : PPRC, on FC links
Hitachi: I do nor remember the name, but it also exists, on FC.
All these software works only with 2 boxes from the same vendor.
There also software ways, like remote mirroring in Veritas (VVR) ,
or Softek TDMF replication on IP (synchronous or asynchronous) (comes
from Legato replication)
Also look at Fujitsu Siemens Centricstor, this appliance offers caching
and may write 2 copies on 2 tapes drives on separate locations.

"Lionel Peterson" <lionel4287 at yahoo.com>
Objet: [geeks] SAN Question...
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:32:23 -0700 (PDT)
@: geeks at sunhelp.org

Pihce jointe au format texte brut [ Ajouter ` mon porte-documents  |
Tilicharger ]

Hello all,

Please excuse the ignorance, but I have a question about SAN and
backups - what do people do to back these up?

My company is thinking about getting two SANs, putting them next to
each other and backing one up to the other (after dividing the workload
across them, so that SAN_A has the primary copy of partition_a and a
backup of partition_b, while SAN_B has the reverse)... Is this what
people do?

As a random thought, has anyone backed up on SAN device to a similar
SAN device at a remote location (say an off-site data center)? If so,
how were they connected?

Thanks in advance, I'm reviewing a plan for our office
network/infrastructure and I am not certain about this technology
(never worked with it)...

=====
Lionel