[geeks] Re:SAN Question...

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jun 25 08:55:12 CDT 2003

>Hello all,
>
>Please excuse the ignorance, but I have a question about SAN and
>backups - what do people do to back these up?
>
>My company is thinking about getting two SANs, putting them next to
>each other and backing one up to the other (after dividing the workload
>across them, so that SAN_A has the primary copy of partition_a and a
>backup of partition_b, while SAN_B has the reverse)... Is this what
>people do?
>
>As a random thought, has anyone backed up on SAN device to a similar
>SAN device at a remote location (say an off-site data center)? If so,
>how were they connected?
>
>Thanks in advance, I'm reviewing a plan for our office
>network/infrastructure and I am not certain about this technology
>(never worked with it)...
>

>=====
>Lionel

You need NATS - Network Attached Tape Storage. Basically the high-end libraries will hook straight into your SAN. If you're prepared to buy used equipment, it isn't really that expensive these days.

When I worked at CML in Australia they were replicating the entire head-office SAN (which serviced about 2500 people) every day to a DRP site using a dual circuit 644MBps MAN.

Regards,

Gavin