[geeks] Wireless AP's

Thomas Gallaway tgallaway at comcast.net
Sun Jun 22 17:53:38 CDT 2003

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 06:22 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:

>>> This was a software hack.  The hack doesn't work on
>>> the 2.x and later WAP11s.
>>
>> oh THAT software hack that would boost the signal of the WAP11 but
>> also
>> create harmonic stray frequency's all over the band way out of 2.4ghz
>> hehe..
>> Be carefull with that. Google for the hack and read about it. It turns
>> out to
>> not really be a very good idea.
>
> I've never had a problem with it.  Most people don't,
> either, so unless there are problems after the hack,
> I wouldn't worry about it.

I have not had any problems either after I did it but I noticed some
weird
things happening. It would loose the signal from now and then. Your AP
might be performing just like it should but take a look at this:

http://www.maokhian.com/wireless/wap11.html

That's what I call a dirty signal. Linksys themselfe have also released
something regarding the signal hack and told people not to use it.

I'm using a nice external antenna on my AP now and that gave me
a nice signal boost and the signal still is clean.

On the WAP11 I am using a 5.5dbi maxrad panel antenna with the proper
cable to the antenna-out on the WAP11. (Found the antenna plus
cable in a dumpster.)

I'm not trying to tell you what not to do, just telling you why I
stopped using
the signal boost hack. (I had it on for like 2 weeks or so)