[geeks] Cell Phone Lovin

James james at jdfogg.com
Wed Jun 18 10:59:04 CDT 2003

First off, I'm rather un-geekly when it comes to cell phones. I like them to
excell at being a phone. If they do anything else it had better not
interfere with it being a phone 1st.

So, in the order of importance....
size=tiny
form_factor=flip phone or dialpad flip cover (I hate pressing keys by
accident)
features=anything that makes dialing or talking easier
accessories=hands-free factory car kits and desk rapid chargers
styling=not flashy or childish/ghetto
data=modem capable and data sync with palm desktop

In the end I found that the Motorola V60i met all the requirements. Besides,
I just frikin love Motorola products. I've been a StarTac user for years and
loved them. The V60i is the StarTac on steroids. Its talktime is respectable
in its size class and its audio quality (send+receive) and signal capture is
fantastic. In Northern New Hampshire you are always in fringe areas and this
phone performs the best of any I've tried (about 10 other types/makes)

I've seen some other phones that look like they might be in this class, but
this was the one that my carrier was offering and it was dirt cheap ($40
after rebate). The styling is a litle louder than I am used to, but I like
it and I can replace the outer skins (front+back) if I wish for $5 on ebay.