[geeks] So an octane just came in today...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 10 22:07:43 CDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> And it has ESI as the graphics option - how good is this?

Second-generation bottom-rung graphics.  Just as tasty as SI, but with a
much faster geometry engine, and a faster path to texture modules.

> Also, what is the RAD audio option, is that standard audio?

Yep.

> Is an R10K @ 250 MHz better for general userland stuff than dual R10K @
> 195 MHz? (I'd suspect the latter, but want to be sure first - I'm only
> going to keep one...)

The former is better for general userland stuff.  IRIX64 is
-wonderfully- good a task-switching.  You'll find it hard to monopolize
a single CPU.  I've managed to bog things down by letting alex hammer
Postgres while I use Mozilla.

> Finally, I find my self in need of either a 68 pin to 50 pin SCSI cable
> or a method to override the passwd file without booting off an external
> CD - thoughts? (I think for my Indigo^2 I had to boot off the
> CD-ROM...)

You can always netboot the installer miniroot.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren