[geeks] PXE booting over Cisco?

James james at jdfogg.com
Mon Jun 2 05:36:41 CDT 2003

Bootp is not forwarded through routers since it is a broadcast (0.0.0.0 is
destination).

To enable bootp forwarding in Cisco do this......

In the LAN interface that is connected to the bootp requesting device add
this line.
ip helper 1.2.3.4

I haven't used that command for a long time to it might be a variant of it.
It might be "ip helper address 1.2.3.4" or something. The IP address is the
IP address of the server that will dish out bootp.

Also, as a sanity check, make sure you can actually ping the bootp server
from the requesting LAN.