[geeks] GPS on planes

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Jul 30 10:47:58 CDT 2003

Charles Shannon Hendrix [mailto:shannon at widomaker.com] on Wednesday, July
30, 2003 12:47 AM said;

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:03:55PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> > We're not.  I _know_ Land navigation is still taught, and I'm told air
crew
> > still can navigate the old fashioned way.  I was told as well that all
Naval
> > officers are familiar with celestial nav.  You gain experience of
course,
> > when your job demands it.

> The Navy recently cut celestial navigation from its required courses.
> It was in our local papers a couple of years back.

> It used to be required for officers.

> No more sextants at Annapolis?

I stand corrected.  I'm also glad I don't have to ride around in Navy ships
for a living, anymore.  I'm still convinced that land nav is taught to
grunts, but I'm less convinced than I used to be.

I hate to be a grumpy old man (crimminy I'm only 35) but we used to be an
article of faith that anything more complicated than a rifle was going to
break, fail or in some manner let you down when you needed it most.

Brian