[geeks] GPS on planes

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Mon Jul 28 23:03:55 CDT 2003

Shannon [mailto:shannon at widomaker.com] on Monday, July 28, 2003 7:38 PM
said;

> GPS units are nice, but I think it is dangerous to create a generation
> of military personnel, pilots, or ship crews that cannot navigate
> without them.

We're not.  I _know_ Land navigation is still taught, and I'm told air crew
still can navigate the old fashioned way.  I was told as well that all Naval
officers are familiar with celestial nav.  You gain experience of course,
when your job demands it.

That said, it sure is handy.  I tend to think of it as a large scale version
of troops learning a maneuver range so well they don't need to land-nav to
find their way around.  "Ya take your squad around the ravine where Lt.
Smith got lost last year and I'll setup 2nd and 3rd squads in an 'L' ambush
down the road from the LZ where Private Schmoo got bit by the snake during
Ocean Venture '93..."

~brian