[geeks] Psychotropics aka anti-depressants, etc

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sun Jul 27 22:26:20 CDT 2003

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 10:50 PM, Shannon wrote:
> I find the whole ADD thing to be a big joke.

I find it more of a travesty and saddening that the
state of US schools has fallen even further.

> Some people still have ADD into their early thirties.

My $BOSS-2 was diagnosed ADHD at about 36.  The guy was
a good sys admin, then, but prone to getting a over-
wrought about things, flying off the handle with users,
and losing track of his project schedules.  Surprisingly,
he was still promoted to manager, and fairly successful.
But he had to expend a huge amount of daily effort to
keep things together.

After he started taking a light dose of Ritalin, it was like
night and day.  He's now managing two groups and will likely
be a director before another 2 years go by. No person who
worked with him pre-diagnosis would have ever imagined that.

But he, and my other friends who are taking drugs for their
chemical imbalances, went into their processes with the
doctors well informed and with eyes wide open.  Nine year-
olds usually don't have the luxury of that type of situation.

=Nadine=