[geeks] gps on plane

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Sun Jul 27 12:23:53 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:32:05 -0400 (EDT)
adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:

> "From: "Bob" wa2egp at att.net
> "
> "> What would you construct it out of? i have a feeling that it would be
> "> incredibly heavy [well in terms of avionics anyway] but then i dont know
> "> much about radio/engineering/signal damping.
> ">
> "A thin layer of copper would do a decent job.
>
> copper and iron laminated ['mu metal' - remember that?] would be better.
>
> "Just have to deal with the windows, doors and other openings.
>
> conductive films would be interesting to test.  and one could always
> laminate a wire mesh into the windows.

Sounds about what I was thinking, although with my limited EE knowledge I
figured I didn't know what I was talking about. Others have chimed in about
how heavy the shielding would be, but simply putting a copper shield around
the passenger compartment couldn't be too bad. Same thing with the mesh to
diffract any extraneous signals - if it's good enough to keep several hundred
watts of microwave radiation in my microwave oven and I can safely stand near
it, how hard could it be to adapt to an airplane window ? :)