[geeks] gps on plane

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Jul 27 10:53:04 CDT 2003

> What about all the avionics - or was it simply very important to get
> orders to jets, even if it was falling out if the sky due to "toasted"
> avionics in a post nuclear battle?

At one time (I'm not sure if is still true) their pilots got their
orders from the ground.  Period.  They didn't do a thing unless
ordered to.  The radio WAS the most important piece of equipment
in their line of thinking.  This comes from the analysis of the
plane that was flown by the pilot that defected and landed it in
Japan a number of years ago.
Even radios in the old 2 MHz marine band would have a tube in the
RF amp in the receiver while the rest of the receiver was
transistor.  Although they have tougher stuff now, back then you
didn't want the guy in the next slip to fry your radio when
he hit the push-to-talk.  (whoosh!) ;->