[geeks] GPS on planes

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jul 27 00:58:54 CDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:30:12PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> <technical explanation>
> All GPS receivers are of the superhetrodyne type. That means that (using
> round numbers), let's say the GPS sattelites transmit at 11.123 gHz.
> Some receivers will use an oscilator (radio signal generator) at 10.000 gHz,
> mix it with the GPS signal and produce a new signal at 1.123 gHz.

Um... that's a rather round-about way of doing signal processing
isn't it?

> </technical explanation>

In any case, I've tested a lot of GPS units together, as many as a dozen, and
none of them interferred with the others.

I'm not totally discounting what you are saying, but I'd really like to
get more information, as GPS systems are a minor hobby of mine.

I poked around a bit and couldn't find any references to the technique
you listed above, though maybe today is just a bad Google day.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com