[geeks] gps on plane

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Sun Jul 27 00:48:05 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 01:30:26 -0400
Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:48:31PM +0100, Hugh Saunders wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:03:36PM -0700, Mike F wrote:
> > > Am I naive in thinking that they should just put a big shield around
> > > the passenger compartments and be done with it?
> >
> > > Or is this actually a large
> > > technological hurdle, to provide such shielding?
> >
> > What would you construct it out of? i have a feeling that it would be
> > incredibly heavy [well in terms of avionics anyway] but then i dont know
> > much about radio/engineering/signal damping.
>

> It seems you are thinking of shielding the whole aircraft, which would be
> heavy, but you don't need to do that.
>
> You only need to shield the vulnerable parts. That's how most electronic
> systems are shielded.

Hmmm... that was my initial thought, but it makes you wonder if you shield the
sensitive parts well enough, will they still be able to function properly? Obviously
I'm no EE, so my suggestions may be impractical, but it seems damn irresponsible of
the industry to allow aircraft to apparently be so vulnerable :-/