[geeks] gps on plane

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Jul 26 21:55:41 CDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> > There have been incidents of automatic pilot errors due to interference
> > from a passenger's hearing aid :).
> >
> Please cite your reference.  This sounds like an urban myth.
> Bob

Huh, well thanks for the vote of confidence:

"A pilot reported to NASA that during an October 1998 flight from Seattle
to Cincinnati, his aircraft experienced a loss of all three of its
autopilot systems because a man was wearing a headset that was part of a
hearing aid. The passenger was allowed to use the device, but was moved
forward several seats, at which point the plane regained full operational
capabilities."

>From http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,41273,00.html

I actually read the story a while ago in a IEEE magazine, but I could not
find a reference to it online.